Abandoned villages of Prepott
Stages: Podresca and the valley Judrio-Prepotto-Borgo di Codromaz-Berda-Borgo di Borgo di-Covacevizza Salamant
This route runs along the upper reaches Judrio, which in this area marks the border with Slovenia, and leads us to the discovery of ancient villages now almost abandoned. They are the typical villages of the Dales with old stone houses with the characteristic rustic architecture: Covacevizza, Salamant, Podresca, Codromaz, Berda.
Podresca and Judrio Valley:
The village of Podresca is located about 9 km from Prepotto by reversing the course of the river Judrio. The valley offers landscape aspects of great value and always different. Florovegetazionali the aspects of greatest interest are given by deciduous forests on hillsides. Once in Podresca we are faced to a typical village with old stone houses and the typical balconies of the area.
Prepotto is the municipality that encompasses the south of the Natisone Valleys, overlooking the gentle slopes of the Collio, of which it shares a great wine tradition. In the various villages we find many well-preserved examples of rural architecture in particular the Berda village restored after the earthquake according to criteria of nice stylistic and environmental unit. However the story of Prepotto is inextricably linked to that of Castelmonte. The complex, which is the current sanctuary was originally a Roman station, then transformed into a fortified town. Mentioned for the first time in a document of 1175, the shrine of Our Lady of Mount belonged first to the provost of St. Stephen in Cividale, then, since 1253, the Chapter of St. Mary. In the thirteenth century the Church of Santa Maria in Monte was considered one of the most important Patriarchate of Aquileia. Ravaged by a devastating fire in 1469 and destroyed by the earthquake of 1511, the sanctuary was enlarged and embellished in the seventeenth century. From a planning point of view, except for the efforts made since the last World War, the structure did not undergo further major changes. The Castelmonte Sanctuary houses some valuable works of art among which is particularly worthy of note is the fifteenth-century Madonna and Child, painted stone statue of Salzburg School; the statue is inserted Baroque altar executed in 1684 by Alessandro Tremignon. Of great interest are the numerous votive offerings that are important evidence of popular religiosity. Among the smaller churches in the area include the church of St. Anthony to Oborza, the Church of St. Bartholomew the Apostle in Ciubiz, the small Church of the Three Kings in Prepotischis and the Church of Sts. Peter and Paul in Centa.
Village of Cròdomaz:
The village, whose name is of uncertain etymology, is characterized by the presence, at the beginning of the town, two buildings in ballatoio.Pieve of St. Thomas the Apostle: the original building of 1480 remains only the choir, the rest of the building it was rebuilt in 1550. The church has a rectangular plan with an apse. Outside stands the bell tower. [XV centuries; XVI]
The village of Berda retain the original character of architecture popular Friulian Slavia. The small village and surrounded by lush hardwood forests.
Village of covacevizza:
The valley offers landscape aspects of great value and always different. Florovegetazionali the aspects of greatest interest are given by deciduous forests on hillsides. Typical rural architecture of the typical stone houses with wooden balconies.
Village of Salamant:
The last leg of our journey, still skirting the green valley Judrio, leads us to Sàlamant where we find the features architecture and the typical grassy squares between the houses partly deserted.